Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Yay for America

"Insert large American Flag Pic Here"

Anyway, what a weekend. Saturday was the most beautiful day ever and I'm really not sure what non-horse people do on days like that. Spending it cantering blissfully along with friends and their horses through fields and woods down at the gorgeous Bear Creek Farm in Moreland was basically my version of heaven on earth. Ryan was off shooting at things, so I'm pretty sure he was content as well. What a state we live in. We have beach, we have mountains, we have lakes and woods and fields and sunshine and breezes and wow, humidity, but on days like Saturday I sure am glad to live here.

Sunday was supposed to be a mundane day somewhat, since all I had to do was run down to the airport and pick up a friend who was coming back from NYC. As I waited for her at the top of the escalator near baggage claim I got to do some prime people watching. Let me tell you what, if you ever need a little emotional "pick me up", just spend a few minutes at the top of that escalator. There were reunions and welcomes of all types. Teens coming home from summers abroad, what looked like two sister meeting for the first time in years, a gay homecoming complete with balloons, a confetti shower and a screech of "you look fabbbbbuuuuulooouuuuusss!" followed by a big ole kiss! I was enjoying myself tremendously when from the escalator around the corner I hear the faint sound of applause from those sitting in a nearby cafe. Coming down the escalator must have been 50 or 60 soldiers, men and women in their desert style fatigues and backpacks. They looked tired. The applause grew and I began to notice that the people clapping weren't their families there to greet them, but strangers and as I joined in and noticed some of their faces brighten a little, the applause grew and grew and I got chills. I was thankful in that moment to get to be there clapping for them, even though I may never see any one of them again, I do appreciate their service to our country, and I'm glad all those people standing around me did too. I was proud of my country and proud of all those strangers saying thank you at once.

So this weekend, although lacking in social events or glamorous parties to attend, was one of the most fun I can think of. We are so lucky to live this little life in Georgia and thanks to soldiers like those, we are free to spend our weekends as we please. Yay America.

No comments:

Post a Comment