Friday, August 7, 2009

The Newlywed Game

Although we can't really be classified as newlyweds anymore since we celebrated our one year anniversary in June, I still feel like we learn random little things about each other on a daily basis. Sometimes I even wonder who exactly this man is and if he remembers who exactly I am? Not in a negative way do I wonder that, but it just seems like the mostly successful merging of our two lives into one sometimes goes "off-roading" as we learn more about each other, and compromise, and love, and housekeeping. We are both fiercely independent and this sometimes makes for interesting conversation and plan making- but he is absolutely the only man I have ever known (besides my daddy) that I believe to be right 99% of the time and that always has honorable intentions.

He is off shooting things this weekend while I go riding down at Bear Creek at a hunter pace and I was just thinking of a little list of things I love about him, and a few things I less than love about him. I love lists, like in a Rainman sort of way.

Things I LOVE about my husband and our marriage:
1. He is the best hugger ever
2. Big glasses of water always taste better when he makes them and brings them to me in my favorite Tervis tumbler.
3. He motivates me to be the best at whatever it is I am trying to do
4. The way he researches all big decisions and is thoughtful in making them
5. His good taste in clothes, jewelry, pets, boats and household items
6. He does laundry and helps me fold and generally puts up with my clothing explosions on laundry days.
7. He is super smart and uses good grammar
8. He balances out my somewhat impetuous nature and can talk me into or out of almost anything
9. He loves animals and they love him
10. He shares the same morals, values, and dreams for our future (except that he wants to keep trucks in the main barn and I want horses- silly boy)

Ten is enough, lest the list get a little too "TMI" as my mama would say.

List of things I less than love about my husband and our marriage:
1. When he goes out of town and leaves the kitchen trashcan full. Eww. Girls should not have to do trash. We have to have babies and that exempts us from trash duties.
2. When he hesitates if I ask to drive his car.
3. That he doesn't share my opinion that if everyone in the world got a massage once a month there would be world peace. He has never even used the massage gift card I gave him two years ago. Craziness.
4. The way it sometime takes him forever to make decisions, but I realize that this is because of number 4 listed above.
5. That we sometimes fail to communicate with each other about plans until the last minute.
6. His stupid ugly shiny noisy Blackberry
7. That he takes really long showers in the morning and being as irresponsible as I am, I go back to sleep and then end up running late. You would think the kid has to shave his legs.
8. When he lectures me for: not locking doors, leaving valuables in my car, not leaving lights on in the house and other generally security related offenses. But I know it's for my own good and he is the son of a cop so he was programmed to be totally paranoid.
9. That he can make the dogs behave better than I can
10. How clean and neat and efficient he is with his belongings. I really am jealous of this, I am incapable of being that neat.

There's always more to learn about each other and even though sometimes we get impatient and or annoyed with one another, I thinks it's sort of a fun part of being married. I love the little traditions we are slowly creating with each other and how compromising sometimes just brings us closer.

1 comment:

  1. Haha...two things. 1) Good Grammar is way undervalued by people. Glad to see it made your top 10. And 2) Don't hate on the Blackberry!! Super cute post - and slightly nauseating for a single gal, all at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete