Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just say NO...

When I first starting dating Ryan, I loved his style. He is usually impeccably dressed, and I have to admit, the kid can iron better than any dry cleaner's I've ever come across. Those of you that know me know how I feel about ironing and the current height of my ironing pile, so that was a major selling point to me. Anyway, after a few months of doing the long distance dating thing, I took my first visit to his humble bachelor abode. I walked into his "neat as a pin" room and there they were, about as attractive looking as a week old run-over armadillo in July in GA on the side of the road. The sight of them turned my stomach-they were....really crappy sheets. OK, so don't think that I was checking out his sheets because I was planning on getting in them later, I just notice that kind of thing because I have a major aversion to scratchy poly blend linens of any sort and I KNEW that I could never live with someone who thought those sheets were OK. I bring my own sheets to hotels or when traveling to stay with family or friends whose sheets have not been previously approved. It's a quirk OK? So that very moment was the first time I had any second thoughts about this man. Did HE actually purchase those sheets? Did his mother purchase them? Were they a graduation gift? How did he ever sleep in these? Would his skin ever recover? So thinking back, this was a little harsh of me, and I did eventually ask him about the origins of those sheets. Turns out, his ex-girlfriend bought them for him so I'll give you two guesses where those sheets went. Anyway, I never knew until that day how much of a sheet snob I am- but I'm not sorry. I think maybe it's because my mom abhors anything that's not 100% cotton when it comes to sheets. Or maybe because it's just in my blood. My entire family seems to be linens obsessed. Needless to say I forgave Ryan for his crappy sheets transgression and soon converted him to my way of thinking. My moment of glory came as we travelled to a wedding a few weeks ago and he turned the duvet back and said "these are very nice sheets, at least 600 thread count". I was so proud of him. They might have been a 400 thread count, but they were a good thick cotton sateen weave, so it worked. I didn't even have to change them to the ones I brought from home- Kudos to the Poinsette Hotel in Greenville, SC. The bottom line is, if you are sleeping on questionable linens, suck it up and buy some nice sheets- it can be life changing, just ask Ryan. I know it seems scary to spend $100 or more on sheets, but you spend 2/3 or some fraction like that of your life in bed- so the value is there.
There's nothing more relaxing that sinking into a comfy bed with cool clean soft cotton (or maybe cotton/beech blend) sheets. Just Say NO to polyester and low thread count. If you ever come stay with us, get ready to be converted, I save the best ones for the guest room.

No comments:

Post a Comment