Tuesday, April 26, 2011

48 hours until....

my favorite six hour drive in the whole wide world! It only takes one road, 75 N, to get me to my favorite city on the eastern side of the US. The lovely Lexington, Kentucky, is sort of like a horse filled heaven for me. Pretty much all of my requirement are met: horses, sushi, wide open spaces, pretty farms, funnel cakes, men in breeches... and we're set.

My birthday is in April, and I like to celebrate with a few close friends, and am not really into parties or heavy drinking, however, I am into waiting a few weeks and giving myself the best little vacay ever, a trip to Rolex. For the non-horsey readers, Rolex is a huge horse event at the 4* level, 4* means WAY better and bigger than I ever will be or even have a desire to be. While I love watching these talented horses and riders and am pretty much constantly in awe of the athleticism that is the horse, I would have to say that half the fun for me is just being surrounded by people that speak horse and live horse for four whole days.

Sometimes in my "real" life, I feel a bit like a fish out of water because my passion and obsession for horses and equine sport is probably not something that translates well into plain English. I probably spend a good part of my days trying to not let my close friends and family realize the true nature of my addiction. I don't usually bring up horses in general conversations unless someone asks me about them, and I even still have the capability to dress cute and chat about things like spray tans, and Tory Burch bags, and people's cute babies. While secretly, I think baby horses are far more attractive than baby humans, and I would much rather set out shopping to find a good saddle than anything to wear. Nonetheless, I do currently live in a world that is rather numb to my own personal equine affair. I have to go to school and I have a job not in the equine industry and a husband who glazes over a little bit when I come home from the barn squealing in a supersonic pitch about how the mare really relaxed her back today in the trot/canter transitions...

So, Rolex, for me is like an energy shot and a breath of fresh air and a place to relax all at once. I can be me, the horsey me, and I love it. Everyone around me is there because they enjoy horses and they understand and probably share my obsession, and they couldn't care less if my toenails are freshly pedicured. They totally enjoy discussing topics like; cures for summer fungus, and Le Chameau boots being the only ones that will make it through a whole mud season, and worrying about hay quality this summer, and using lateral work to eat up your horses extra energy in the warm up before a show etc.  As much as I would like to live and work within the horse culture full-time, my life right now doesn't allow it, so every April, my excitement builds to my own little fever pitch. I can't let it be known just quite how excited I get, lest my husband worry that I might never return from the land of blue grass and frolicking foals, but here is the best representation I could find:




I have decided to try and blog a little bit about every day in KY- we have a long list of things to do and see, which I will cover tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment